A North American EMS company who produces critical and complex electronic assemblies for a major automotive manufacturer, wanted a touchless solution that would enable connectivity and reporting features. With a Bright Machines Microfactory they have an automated solution that enables end-to-end traceability with inspection features for torque and angle values, gasket presence and final product label.
The original line relied on manual labor and had 58 touch points that made it challenging to maintain continuity. The emphasis on manual labor limited units produced per hour and had little ability to monitor performance in real time, ensure consistent quality, or identify and resolve any issues on the line and adjust quickly.
With a Bright Machines Microfactory the line maintains the same rate of production hour by hour, without having to rely on a human operator working a long shift. It also means the manufacturer has eliminated the need to train operators to perform specific tasks, thus minimizing expertise required for employees on the line while still meeting the extremely high-quality demands of the end customer.
AT A GLANCE
With the deployment of their microfactory, this automotive manufacturer was able to dramatically increase yield and quality while reducing headcount and defect rates.
- Unit production increased 33% per hour
- The new microfactory required only 25% of the human touches compared to the previous, manual process
- Defect rates reduced by 88%
- 50% reduction in assembly-line staff
And these results are only representative of their North American manufacturing line. Because the Bright Machines Microfactory is so easily scaled, we have since implemented additional lines for this same customer, reusing the same solution in other geographies.
For more information, check out:
- Video library: More Bright Machines Videos
- Webinar: EMS 2.0: How To Remain Competitive in Electronics Manufacturing
- Blog: Auto Industry Takes Moore’s Law for a Drive
- Blog: BMW i Ventures Joins the Bright Machines Journey
- Blog: Instant Factories
- Blog: EMS 2.0: What’s Next for Electronics Manufacturing
Contact us to find out how Bright Machines Microfactories can transform your electronics assembly and inspection line.